World XI: five goalkeepers on the shortlist
Monday 19 November
FIFA and FIFPro present the five goalkeepers who have been nominated on the short-list for the FIFA FIFPro World XI of 2012. One of them will be presented as goalie during the FIFA Ballon d’Or Gala, to be held on Monday 7 January 2013.
In other words, his fellow professional footballers are of the opinion that he may call himself the best keeper in the world for his performances in 2012.
This year, FIFA and FIFPro will be announcing the 55 nominated players on the shortlist for the FIFA FIFPro World XI in four stages.
- On Monday 19 November: the 5 nominated keepers
- On Thursday 22 November: the 20 nominated defenders
- On Monday 26 November: the 15 nominated mid-fielders
- On Thursday 29 November: the 15 nominated attackers
All nominations will be announced at 3.00 pm European time by FIFA and FIFPro.
The five goalkeepers who have received the most votes from all the professional football players in the world are (in alphabetical order):
- Gianluigi Buffon (Italy and Juventus)
- Iker Casillas (Spain and Real Madrid)
- Peter Cech (Czech Republic and Chelsea)
- Joe Hart (England and Manchester City)
- Manuel Neuer (Germany and Bayern Munich).
For Joe Hart, this is the first time he has been nominated for the shortlist. This year he made a big impression during the successful champion race by Manchester City and as goalie for England.
For Manuel Neuer, this is the second time that he has been selected. Peter Cech (Champions League winner with Chelsea) racks up his sixth nomination, but has not yet succeeded in gaining a World XI Award.
Gianluigi Buffon and Iker Casillas have both received this trophy before. Buffon (this year champion with Juventus) won the award in 2006 and 2007. Casillas (champion with Real and European champion with Spain) has received the award in the last four years (2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011).
FIFPro is organising the election of the World XI for the eighth successive year. Since 2009, the world-wide trade union for professional football players has organised this election in close collaboration with FIFA. This autumn, FIFPro sent out 45,000 voting ballots to all affiliated players unions, who in turn distributed the forms among the players.
For the latest updates about the vote for the 2012 FIFA FIFPro World XI,
We especially recommend you to regularly visit FIFPro Facebook, as we will be publishing various competitions with unique prizes.
- 21-05-2013 Career fund report shows improvement is possible »
- 21-05-2013 Report: Holland most attractive country for footballers »
- 17-05-2013 Video: the opening of the new FIFPro House »
- 15-05-2013 Barcelona players honour FIFPro with surprise visit »
- 13-05-2013 Didier Drogba opens new FIFPro House »
- 10-05-2013 FIFPro on extra referees and goal-line technology »
- 08-05-2013 FIFPro and players to open new FIFPro House »
- 08-05-2013 FIFPro: The reform process in Indonesia is too slow »