FIFPro, the World Players' Union, and FIFA today announced the fifteen midfielders shortlisted for the FIFA FIFPro World XI 2014 as part of the 55-men shortlist to be revealed on Monday 1 December 2014. Four midfielders make their debut on the shortlist.
The FIFA FIFPro World XI is decided by the players, for the players. It involves votes from tens of thousands footballers worldwide. FIFPro asked these players to choose one goalkeeper, four defenders, three midfielders and three forwards who – in their opinion – were the best in their position in 2014.
The shortlist for the midfielders
Player (country, current club)
Xabi Alonso (Spain, FC Bayern Munich)
Ángel Di Maria (Argentina, Manchester United FC)
Cesc Fàbregas (Spain, Chelsea FC)
Eden Hazard (Belgium, Chelsea FC)
Xavi Hernández (Spain, FC Barcelona)
Andrés Iniesta (Spain, FC Barcelona)
Toni Kroos (Germany, Real Madrid CF)
Luka Modric (Croatia, Real Madrid CF)
Mesut Özil (Germany, Arsenal FC)
Andrea Pirlo (Italy, Juventus)
Paul Pogba (France, Juventus)
James Rodríguez (Colombia, Real Madrid CF)
Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany, FC Bayern Münich)
Yaya Touré (Ivory Coast, Manchester City FC)
Arturo Vidal (Chile, Juventus)
- Xavi Hernández, Andrés Iniesta and Franck Ribéry were last year's World XI midfielders.
- Xavi has 6 awards, Iniesta has 5 and Ribéry has 1. Xavi and Iniesta both have been included in the 5 last World XI's.
- Xabi Alonso (2011, 2012) and Andrea Pirlo (2006) are the only other former World XI award winners.
- Ángel Di Maria, Toni Kroos, Paul Pogba and James Rodriguez all make their debut on the 55-men shortlist.
- Cesc Fàbregas, Eden Hazard and Luka Modric all return on the shortlist after missing out on last year's. All three midfielders' previous inclusion was in the 2012 shortlist.
- Sergio Busquets, Steven Gerrard and Isco have all disappeared from the World XI shortlist.
- Andrea Pirlo is the only midfielder to appear on all ten shortlists since the introduction of the World XI in 2005. He joins goalkeeper (and Juventus teammate) Gianluigi Buffon as the second player with ten nominations.
The shortlist for forwards will be announced and published on FIFPro.org and FIFA.com on Monday 1 December, at 17.00 hrs CET.
Click to enlarge
- Published: 28 November 2014